All parents want the best for their children; sumptuous food, good education and healthy body to experience life to the fullest. The difficult thing parents’ encounter is to make the best decision to attain these goals and keeping their children out of sickness is a priority to them. In deciding what essential oils can be used to their children is not an exemption as well. I’m guessing, we already have an idea what essential oils are. Regardless of the brand or eminence of the essential oil, they are tremendously concentrated mixtures of different chemical components and have the need of awareness in utilizing them. In this blog, we are going to gain knowledge on how to use essential oil with infants and toddlers in a safety manner.
Essential Oils that are Safe for Topical Use on Infants, 3 months of age
Most researches about essential oils inform parents not to utilize essential oils on infants who are less than three months of age. The sole reason is that infant’s skin at this age is immature yet; for that reason, it is more penetrable and susceptible to essential oils. Newborns or infants are not as tolerable as adults in dealing with adverse effects of essential oils. The maximum suggested quantity of essential oils to be used on infants topically is one to two drops for every ounce of carrier oil.
These are the five most recommended essential oils use topically for infants:
- Roman Chamomile or Anthemis nobilis
- German Chamomile or Matricaria rectutita
- Blue Yarrow or Achillea millefolium
- Dill or Anthum graveolens
- Lavender or Lavendula angustifolia
Essential Oils that are Safe for Topical Use on Infants, 6 months of age
The maximum suggested quantity of essential oils to be used on infants six months of age is three to five drops for every ounce of carrier oil. Here are some of the essential oils that can be used:
- Bergamot or Citrus bergamia
- Carrot Seed or Daucus carota
- Cinnamon Leaf or Cinnamomum verum
- Atlas Cedarwood or Cedrus atlantica
- Virgina Cedarwood or Juniperus virginiana
- Cedarwood or Cedrus deodora
- Coriander or Coriandrum sativum
- Fir Needle or Abies sibirica
- Citronella or Cymbopogon nardus
- Mandarin or Citrus reticulate
- Geranium or Pelargonium graveolens
- Helichrysum or Helichrysum angustifolium
- Neroli or Citrus Aurantium
- Grapefruit or Citrus paradise
- Ravensara or Raensara aromatic
- Palma Rosa or Cymbopogon martini
- Sandalwood or Santalum spicatum
- Tea Tree or Melaleuca alternifolia
- Rose Otto or Rosa damascena
- Sweet Orange or Citrus sinensis
Essential Oils that are Safe for Topical Use on Children, 2 years of age
The maximum suggested quantity of essential oils to be used on children two years of age is twenty drops for every ounce of carrier oil. Check the list of essential oils below:
- Basil, Lemon or Ociumum x citriodorum
- Basil, Sweet or Ocimum basilicum
- Black Pepper or Piper nigrum
- Cassia or Cinnamomum cassia
- Clary Sage or Salvia sclareao
- Copaiba Basalm or Copaifera officinalis
- Frankincense or Boswellia carterii
- Garlic or Allium sativum
- Ginger or Zingiber officinale
- Hyssop or Hyssopus officinalis
- Juniper Berry or Juniperus communis
- Melissa or Lemon Balm or Melissa officinalis
- Myrrh or Commiphora myrrha
- Sweet Marjoram or Marjorana hortensis
- Patchouli or Pogostemon cablin
- Tumeric or Cucuma longa
- Vetiver or Vetiveria zizanoides
- Valarian or Valeriana officinalis
- Ylang Ylang or Cananga odorata
Essential Oils that are Safe for Topical Use on Children, 6 years of age
The maximum suggested quantity of essential oils to be used on children six years of age is thirty drops for every ounce of carrier oil. Here are some of the essential oils that can be used:
- Anise/Aniseed or Pimpinella anisum
- Anise, Star or Illicium verum
- Cardamom or Elettaria cardamomum
- Fennel, sweet and bitter or Foeniculum vulgare
- Spanish Marjoram or Thymus mastichina
- Niaouli or Cineole chemotype
- Nutmeg or Myristica fragrans
- Peppermint or Mentha x piperita
Essential Oils that are Safe for Topical Use on Children, 10 years of age
From this age, almost all of the essential oils can be administered safely to your toddlers. However, peppermint, rosemary and all different types of eucalyptus are still not advisable to be used in children as these essential oils consist of Menthol and Cineol. Menthol and Cineol invigorates cold-receptor in a toddler’s lungs, thus, activate s a reaction in toddlers that stalls breathing radically.
Things to remember in using essential oils to your children:
- Do your research. There are a lot of blogs online and even books which can help you understand the usage of essential oils to your kids. It could be tedious to do all the research and reading however your kids’ security and safety is at stake.
- Seek professional help. If you have done your own study about essential oils and still in doubt if it is alright to use it. You can ask for assistance from different professional aroma therapist or doctors. Always weigh your options.
- Use the correct dosage and/ or dilution. It is very important to always check on the proper dosage before using it to your children. Even an excess drop of essential oil can have unwanted effects to your kids. Make sure to follow the exact procedure in administering an essential oil.
- Introduce one essential at a time. Infants and toddlers have more sensitive and delicate skin than adults, so make sure to use one essential oil at a time. Do NOT use 2 or more of these oils in a day as a skin reaction can take place within 15-30 minutes from the time you have used it to your babies.
- Oral Usage is a No No. Ingestion of essential oils to children is ALWAYS prohibited. There are severe and critical effects that may damage your kid’s internal organs.
- Do NOT forget about the Latin Name. In searching for the proper essential oil to be used for your kids. Do NOT omit the Latin name of the oil as not to confuse yourself with the other essential oils. For example, Lavender has different types and not all are recommended to be used for children.
These are only basic guidelines that can assist you if you want to join the trend of essential oil practice. Parents, be smart and safe enough. I’d love to hear your suggestion and opinion about using Essential Oils to your children, so please drop a comment below and lets discuss our points. Thank you, Lovelies for joining Pinay Time with yours truly — The Drunken Cheeks 🙂 ❤